Eating satiety is not only bad for your weight scales, but also your general body health. Every food you eat will be converted by the body into energy so you can continue to move. However, many people actually feel sleepy after eating satiety. Why is that, huh?
Why am I sleepy after eating full?
In general, once the food reaches the stomach, your digestive system will absorb its nutrients and then distribute it to the parts of the body that need it. Most of these substances will be converted into energy used by muscles throughout the body to keep moving.
While the rest will help the body produce and regulate various hormones, such as cholecystokinin and glucagon which trigger a feeling of fullness while increasing blood sugar, as well as serotonin and melatonin which stimulate drowsiness. The combination of various hormones is not only you feel sleepy after eating, but also makes the body weak and tired. Usually, drowsiness will come after you eat foods that are high in carbohydrates and tryptophan. For example rice, potatoes, pasta, bread-rotian, milk, and bananas.
In the popular dictionary, the sleepy sensation after eating is called food coma. In medical terms, this condition is called postprandial somnolence. This body response is very natural and occurs in almost every human being. Especially if you have just eaten glut. However, feeling sleepy and tired after eating can also be caused by certain health problems, such as diabetes and celiac disease.
What are the symptoms?
Besides being lethargic, there are several other symptoms that can occur, such as:
- Stomach feels bloated
- Stomach begging
- Stomach gums
- Drowsiness, irritability, and irritability
- "Slow", aka difficult to concentrate
How do you handle this?
If you start feeling sleepy after eating, get up immediately to stretch or walk for a while, just 15 minutes is enough. This aims to reduce blood sugar and sleepy trigger hormones. If your stomach has a problem, you can drink ginger tea or warm peppermint tea to relieve symptoms.
How to avoid drowsiness after eating?
If you don't want to be drowsy and tired after eating, avoid eating too much. The following tips can also be done to make sleepiness cancel to approach:
- Chew food slowly to help the digestive process.
- Don't skip meals, thus making your next appetite bigger. Make sure the feeding time is around 3 to 4 hours.
- Drink water before eating
- Food choices also need to be considered. Reporting from Women 's Health Magazine, foods that can be consumed are foods high in protein, low in carbohydrates, and low in fat.
- After eating, get up immediately to do mild physical activity.
- 3 Health Problems That Make You Tired After Feeding
- 5 Unexpected Foods That Can Make Your Body Fast and Tired
- Often Sleepy Even When You Have Enough Sleep? Here are 5 reasons!