If you follow a healthy diet and get enough calories to support your activities throughout the day, you don't have to eat before exercising. But if you need help to keep your energy level steady, then eating snacks before exercise may be good for you.
Choosing the right food is the key. Make sure you are well hydrated before exercising. Experts recommend drinking 16-20 ounces of water, 1-2 hours before starting exercise.
9 good snacks consumed before exercising
Experts agree that low-fat snacks are the best way if you want to eat before exercise. About 100 to 300 calories consisting of protein and complex carbohydrates are enough to meet your energy needs. Carbohydrates give you energy. Protein for your muscles.
Try these delicious ideas:
- Oatmeal with cinnamon and blueberries or dried cranberries
- Whole wheat bread with peanut butter and banana slices
- Fruit smoothies with yogurt
- Greek yogurt with low-fat granola and berries.
- Half turkey sandwiches
- Raw vegetables with hummus for dipping
- Whole-wheat biscuits with 1 ounce of low-fat cheese
- Cottage cheese with apple or banana slices
- Mixture of beans with dried fruit
What should not be eaten before exercising?
Avoid foods that are rich in fat or fiber, because both can slow down digestion, so it takes longer to produce energy, and your body becomes weak.