Artificial food coloring, which is usually used to beautify the colors of sweets, pastries, soups, and even bread, is very risky to endanger the health of those who consume them. Even health authorities in Austria and Norway have banned the use of artificial food coloring, while European health authorities require warning labels on foods containing synthetic ingredients. In the UK, this warning label warns that children who consume foods containing artificial coloring have a greater risk of suffering from hyperactive behavior and ADHD. Therefore, the use of natural food coloring is the only safe and healthy way to make food look more beautiful. Let's look at some ingredients that can be used to color the following foods!
Natural food coloring agents
Yellow and orange
To produce yellow, you can use the following ingredients:
- Yellow Gardenia : This natural and soluble dye in pure water is extracted from the madder family of gardenia. This is a yellow powder that can be easily dissolved in water and alcohol, and has good resistance to light and temperature in a neutral and weak base medium. It is formed by the process of destruction, extraction, filtration, purification, concentration, sterilization, spraying, and drying.
- Yellow Turmeric : This natural ingredient is the root of Curcuma Longa L. which is soluble in ethanol. It also has coloring capabilities and is a good anti-heat. This yellow powder will be golden under PH 7 and reddish above PH7. It can be used to color gum, cakes, spices, ice cream, bread, butter, and so on.
- Orange : it has high color value, strong coloring ability, hue, great thermal stability and light stability, a large PH adaptation value, and is rich in vitamin E and rare selenium metals. It is commonly used for food, cosmetics and medicine.
Blue and green
To produce blue and green, you can use the following ingredients:
- Blue gardenia : this is a natural food pigment that comes from the madder family of gardenia with biological fermentation. If you add this to food, the food will be dark blue. This blue gardenia is also easily soluble in water, in ethanol solutions, and in propylene glycol solutions. The color will be stable at PH 4 to 8. It also has good resistance to temperature, but not to light.
- Green gardenia : this is a natural pigment extracted from a mixture of blue and yellow gardenia fruit. It can produce light green and dark green. It dissolves easily in water and ethanol solution. This is usually used for beer, soda pop, juice, jam, candy, cakes, jelly, ice cream, bread, and others.
Red and purple
To produce red and purple, you can use the following ingredients:
- Red cabbage : this is a reddish purple powder that is soluble in water and acetate solution, but not with oil. It produces reddish purple if PH is less than 6 and reddish purple is not stable at PH more than 7. It has good stability for heat and light, especially in acidic conditions. This also applies to wine, soft drinks, juices, jams, ice cream, cakes, and so on.
- Red grape skin : This natural color pigment is extracted from the skin of red grapes. This will produce dark purple. It is also easily soluble in water and ethanol, but is not soluble in anhydrous fats and alcohols. Color stability depends on the PH value. If it is acidic, it will turn red, if it is normal it will turn blue, and dark blue if it is in an alkaline condition. He is usually used for beer, soda pop, juice drinks, jam, candy, and others.
- Purple yam : This is extracted from locally grown purple tuber roots. This process is carried out by checking, washing, slicing, digging, filtration, purification, concentration, sterilization, spraying, and drying. This purple yam can produce purplish red.
- Alert, These 7 Foods Contain High Salt
- Supplements vs. Food: Which is the Best Source of Nutrition?
- Satiety Index: Determinants of Food Satiety Levels