Salads are identical to vegetables or fruits. So, many people want to lose weight or who want to be healthy prefer to eat salad instead of eating other foods. The composition of the salad which usually consists of vegetables or fruits is certainly healthy. However, if you eat a salad every day does it guarantee your health?
What is a salad?
Before starting further, we should know in advance what is meant by salad. Salad is usually not a main dish, usually served as an appetizer or a side dish. However, salads can be used as main dishes, with larger portions, of course.
Salad is usually served in cold conditions and consists of various mixtures of food ingredients, usually raw foods. Different mix of food ingredients, different names of salads. For example, a Caesar salad whose ingredients consist mainly of green vegetables (especially Romaine lettuce) added with garlic vinaigrette dressing.
Salad is served by simply mixing food ingredients. You can create your own mix of ingredients in your salad according to your taste. The ingredients in salads can consist of vegetables, pasta, beans, seafood, tuna, eggs, chicken, fruit, and others. Don't forget to always add salad dressing. Yes, salad dressing is an important part of a salad. Without salad dressing, the salad won't be a salad.
Salad dressing can be interpreted as a spice in salads, so salad dressing is useful for enhancing the taste and texture of salads. There are many types of salad dressings. Usually salad dressings consist of basic ingredients, such as oil, milk products (cream or yogurt), and mayonnaise. One type of salad dressing is a vinaigrette dressing, which is made from a mixture of olive oil or canola oil, vinegar, mustard, and spices can be added.
Is it healthy to eat salad only?
Based on the explanation above, we know that salad composition can consist of anything. Not only vegetables or fruits, salads can also consist of protein sources, such as eggs, tuna, shrimp, chicken, meat, and others. In addition, salad dressing is added to every salad, which can be a source of fat.
A complete salad usually consists of basic ingredients, main ingredients, garnish, and salad dressing.
- Base material, is used as a base for salads. Usually in the form of green vegetables, such as lettuce (lettuce).
- Main ingredient , this is a salad filling. Usually consists of vegetables, such as green vegetables, tomatoes, cucumbers, and others. Can also be added with boiled eggs, tuna, boiled or baked chicken, or can also be added with potatoes.
- Garnish or decoration, added to enrich the taste, texture and color. Anything can be used as a garnish. For example, just grilled chicken on a Caesar salad.
- Dressing , this is a material you can't miss. Dressings can be mayonnaise, olive oil, vinaigrette dressing, and others.
If the salad consists of a complete composition, there are sources of carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, and minerals, salads will certainly be a complete and healthy nutrition food.
- The source of carbohydrates can be potatoes, pasta, vegetables, or fruits
- Source protein can be found in fish, chicken, meat, eggs
- You can get the source of fat from dressings, in the form of mayonnaise or oil
- Sources of vitamins and minerals , found in vegetables and fruits
If a salad contains complete nutrition like this, you have no problem if you eat a salad only, provided your nutritional needs are still met. Consequently, you may need to increase your salad portion.
However, if your salad consists of only vegetables, of course the salad does not meet the nutrients needed by you. If you want to eat a salad in a day, you should still pay attention to the nutritional content of the salad you eat whether it's complete or not. You can create your own salad that contains various nutrients.
What are the benefits of a salad?
The high content of vegetables or fruits in salads can keep you full longer, so you eat less, and ultimately can help you lose weight. In addition, vegetables and fruits also contain lots of fiber which can help you reduce cholesterol and can also prevent constipation.
A salad consisting of lots of green vegetables also contains lots of antioxidants (from vitamin C, vitamin E, folic acid, lycopene, and alpha and beta-carotene). These antioxidants can help protect the body from damage caused by free radicals.
Salads also contain good fat. These good fats can be found in olive oil, avocados, and nuts which are usually found in salads. Eating good fats along with vegetables can help your body absorb phytochemicals that are good for the body, such as lycopene from tomatoes and lutein from dark green vegetables.
- Peel Complete a Healthy Diet Plan for Adult Women
- 7 Low Carbohydrate But Satisfying Cuisine
- 4 Recipe for Pasta to Lose Weight