The keto or ketogenic diet is a diet that adopts a low-carbohydrate and high-fat diet. Some studies that support this method say the ketogenic diet can lose weight in a short time but still increase energy. Some other benefits that can be obtained through the keto diet include preventing the risk of diabetes, cancer, epilepsy, and Alzheimer's. So, how do you design the keto diet for everyday?
Guides go on the keto diet
As explained above, the keto diet focuses on foods that are high in fat and low in carbohydrates and high in fat. If normal fat consumption is limited to about 20-30% of daily needs, the ketogenic diet recommends fat intake up to 60-70%.
Intake of carbohydrate sources is greatly reduced to only 5% of daily needs in general. Instead, carbohydrates are exchanged for foods high in protein to meet 20 percent of the body's needs.
This drastic reduction in carbohydrates makes the body enter a phase called ketosis. The lack of carbohydrate intake makes the body not produce enough blood sugar to be burned as energy. As a result, the body begins to break up the fat stack as a backup energy source.
Foods that are avoided in the keto diet
Here is a list of high carbohydrate foods that need to be reduced or eliminated on the ketogenic diet:
- Sweet foods: Sodas, fruit juices, smoothies, cakes, ice cream, sweets, etc.
- Grains or flour: Wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereals, etc.
- Fruit: All fruits, except for a small portion of fruit such as strawberries.
- Peas or peas: Peas, kidney beans, beans, etc.
- Vegetables and root bulbs: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, etc.
- Low fat or dietary products: This product often contains high carbohydrates.
- Some spices or sauces: Products contain lots of sugar and unhealthy fats.
- Unhealthy fat: Limit intake of processed vegetable oils, mayonnaise, etc.
- Sugar-free diet foods: Contain high artificial sugar levels, which can affect the ketone process
Foods recommended in the keto diet
The following types of foods high in fat are recommended to be included in your keto diet menu, namely:
- Meat: Red meat, steak, ham, sausage, bacon, chicken and turkey.
- Fatty fish: salmon, tuna, sardines, and mackerel.
- Butter and cream
- Unprocessed cheese (cheddar, goat, cream, blue, or mozzarella).
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, etc.
- Healthy oils: Extra virgin oil, coconut oil, and avocado oil.
- Avocado, strawberry
- Low-carb vegetables: Green vegetables, tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc.
- Seasoning: You can use salt, pepper and various healthy herbs and spices.
- Full fat yogurt, full fat milk
- 90% dark chocolate
Designing a keto diet for everyday
The important thing to remember in preparing a keto diet is the division between carbohydrates, proteins, and fats: 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbohydrate. Also, use which food guidelines should be avoided and which ones are recommended.
Here are the keto diet menu choices that you can practice at home.
Black coffee without creamer, sugar, sweetener, milk (Can be added coconut oil or butter /margarine; can also be "sweetened" with ginger /cinnamon /vanilla /chocolate powder)
This breakfast menu contains 84 percent fat, 12 percent protein, and 2 percent carbo.
- Grilled chicken breast with butter (butter) or olive oil, season with garlic, pepper and salt, and other herbs according to taste.
From this menu you get 69 percent fat, 30 percent protein, and 1 percent carbohydrate.
- Setup beef with tomatoes, grated cheese, cream, leeks, butter.
The nutrients you get from this dinner are 73 percent fat, 23 percent protein, and 3 percent carbohydrates.
Breakfast : Milkshake or full fat milk
Lunch : Vegetable salad added a little slice of shrimp or fish, olive oil, lemon juice, mint leaves, peppers, sesame seeds and cheese
Dinner : Vegetable salad plus pieces of meat, celery, peppers, tomatoes and cheese
Snacks : Avocados, apples, and a handful of nuts
Breakfast : High-fat meat like beef or goat, add eggs, tomatoes, peppers, celery and carrots
Lunch : Vegetable salad, use lemon juice, mint leaves, almonds, sesame seeds, lettuce, mushrooms with olive oil (you can add chicken breast or shrimp chunks and cheese sprinkles)
Dinner : Sea fish, asparagus, celery, spices, shallots, garlic, leeks, cheese, lettuce, peppers and broccoli
Snack : A handful of beans and strawberry fruit
Remember, you can design your own keto diet menu by adhering to the principle of 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbohydrate.
- Guide to High Fiber Diets, Healthy Ways to Reduce Weight
- If your body weight is normal, can you still go on a diet program?
- Guide to Living the Atkins Diet, a Diet That Will Allow You to Eat Fat