Get to know the 5 hidden dangers that might exist in your home

Get to know the 5 hidden dangers that might exist in your home

Get to know the 5 hidden dangers that might exist in your home

Advertiser

Get to know the 5 hidden dangers that might exist in your home

The house must definitely be a comfortable place to live, right? However, did you know that some of the biggest health hazards can be found at home?

Salmonella and E. coli

Both of these bacteria can interfere with intestinal health and cause diarrheal disease which can then lead to life-threatening dehydration. You need to be vigilant because these two bacteria are very easy to find on various food products. Humans usually contract salmonella after consuming or processing contaminated food such as raw meat, eggs, fruit, and vegetables. Meanwhile, E. coli can usually infect humans when someone consumes food that is not properly cleaned and cooked.

How to avoid it

Hygiene is the main key to avoiding the infection of these two bacteria. Wash your hands before processing food. You are also encouraged to use two cutting boards at home, one for raw meat, and one for fruit and vegetables. Also separate raw meat and seafood from other foods in the refrigerator. After cooking, clean all the equipment used to process raw meat with warm water and soap. And most importantly, cook all the meat until it's completely cooked.

Carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide gas has no odor, but can be harmful to humans. According to the CDC, every year around 500 people die from this gas poisoning. This gas contamination usually occurs when organic fuel is burned without adequate ventilation. Some sources of carbon monoxide that can be found at home include gas water heaters, wood stoves, car combustion products, and tobacco smoke.

How to avoid it

To prevent the occurrence of monoxide gas poisoning at home, you need to regularly monitor the condition of each potential household appliance such as a water heater. You can call the technician every year to check the state of your machine. In addition, you can also install carbon monoxide detectors at home.

Tin

Exposure to toxic metals can cause serious health problems ranging from mental development disorders to nerve function disorders. Although it has been reduced for a long time, the use of tin as a dangerous metal material can still be found in households. Usually this product is found in paint (in old houses), household dust, drinking water (if your drinking water pipe is still made of tin), and contaminated soil.

How to avoid it

If you have an old house, it's a good idea to call an officer to test or check the lead content in your house. If you have a tin water pipe, don't use hot water from the tap to drink or make baby milk, because hot water will release more lead from the pipe. And most importantly, check the lead level in yourself and your child.

Mushroom

These microorganisms love to live in humid and oxygen-rich environments. You can find mushrooms in every corner of a humid house with poor ventilation. Exposure to fungal spores can cause nasal and sinus blockages, chronic cough, and eye irritation. According to the Mayo Clinic, fungi can also trigger asthma attacks and pulmonary infections in patients with chronic respiratory diseases.

How to avoid it

You can clean the mushrooms with a cleanser that does not contain ammonia or dish soap. Wear gloves, long sleeves, trousers, eye protection, and a mask to protect yourself from mold spores. You are also encouraged to use a vacuum or air purifier after cleaning the fungus to eradicate spores from free air. Get rid of all carpets or objects at home if they remain wet for more than two days.

Pesticides

This product is a hazardous material that sometimes goes unnoticed. Pesticides can be contained in various products such as insect repellent, shampoo for lice, and wallpaper. If used or stored in the wrong way, pesticides can interfere with health, from damaging the nerves to disturbing breathing. According to WHO, pesticides found in households are one of the biggest causes of poisoning in children.

How to avoid it

To prevent pesticide poisoning, always read the usage instructions for each product. Also keep each product containing pesticides in a locked place that is not accessible to children. Always use a protector when wearing it, and never eat or drink while using a pesticide product. Make sure you thoroughly wash your hands thoroughly after handling a product that contains pesticides.

Also Read:

  • 10 Home Cleaning Activities That Burn Many Calories
  • Steps to Clean Cellphones from Bacteria and Germs
  • 7 These Things Are Grosser Than Public Toilets

Advertiser

Blogger
Disqus
Pilih Sistem Komentar

No comments