The oil on the skin of a human face actually functions to protect the skin. However, when too much, the skin becomes clogged and triggers zits. There are also other factors that cause acne, including stress and changes in hormone activity, pregnant women, and those who use contraceptive pills.
However, oily skin fortunately produces fewer wrinkles that make you look younger, compared to people who have normal or dry skin. Even so, this type of skin needs more attention, because it needs to maintain more cleanliness than other skin types. Here are tips that you can try at home. Make sure you don't have allergies to the ingredients below before trying.
How to treat oily skin at home?
1. Wash your face properly
- As a way to treat the most basic oily skin, please wash your face with warm water. Warm water can lift oil better than water with normal temperature.
- After that, choose the right cleaning product. Do you prefer liquid cleansers or bar soap cleansers, all may be used, which is important to avoid moisturizing cleaning products. Bar soap is actually more effective, but there are also many liquid soaps formulated for oily skin.
- If you have oily and acne prone skin, choose an antibacterial soap formulated with benzoyl peroxide or triclosan. This substance prevents the growth of bacteria that cause acne.
- Use cleaning products that contain alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) such as citric acid, lactic acid, or glycolic acid. AHA can help to exfoliate dead skin cells and reduce oil in the pore pores.
2. Make your own toner
- After washing your face, you can soak cotton with witch hazel oil as a way to treat an oily face. After soaking, apply on face. Use twice a day for two to three weeks. After the third week, use once a day. Witch hazel contains tannin, which has an astringent effect, makes the pores tighter, the oil comes out less.
- Mint leaves can also be an ingredient for making your own toner, which of course can be a way to treat oily skin. Try soaking the herbs with boiling water, leave for 30 minutes, then strain and take the liquid only. After cold, apply evenly to your face. If there is liquid remaining, the liquid can be stored for the next three days at room temperature, even five days if put in the refrigerator.
3. Gently massage your face
Powder with fine grains (scrubs) can help absorb oil and get rid of dead skin cells that clog the pores. You can scrubbing your facial skin regularly as a way to treat oily skin. How, grind and strain 2 teaspoons of dried oatmeal, then mix with witch hazel oil to become a thick mixture. Massage your face using this mixture gently, then rinse thoroughly with warm water.
4. Use an anti-oil face mask
- White egg mask is believed to be able to tighten the skin and absorb oil. You can try using this white egg mask as a way to treat an oily face from natural ingredients. Try mixing one teaspoon of honey with egg white, stirring well. Then add enough flour to form a thick dough. Apply a mask to your face, avoid the eye area. Allow to dry for about 10 minutes then rinse with warm water.
- Lemon juice is used for anti-oil masks, along with other substances such as apples. Add the apples to the pan, then simmer until tender, crush the apples, add one teaspoon of lemon juice and one teaspoon of lavender oil, or peppermint oil. Apply this mixture to your face, leave it for 5 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
5. Choose the right makeup
- If you use makeup, use loose face powder on your face. Avoid using pressed powder because it can cause stains, even trigger acne on oily skin
- Provide blotting paper or oil paper to absorb oil on the face. You can buy it at a store that sells skin care products as a first aid for cleaning your face.
- 8 Steps to Wash Your Face Properly If You Have Oily Skin
- How do you choose a facial cleansing soap that suits me?
- 3 Foods That Can Make Oily Skin