Fasting exercise must be done so that it is always fit. One of the things that is recommended to continue doing while fasting is doing sports activities. Thirst will always come over when you are exercising. Because the body loses a lot of fluids when doing physical activity. But don't make that a reason, you can still exercise in the fasting month.
Well, that's why, you have to be smart to choose the right sport so you don't harm yourself. One important thing to consider is choosing the right time and place to exercise. So, when is the best time to exercise? Sports in the fasting month, preferably after opening or even before breaking fast? See the full explanation below.
Exercise when fasting, better after breaking or opening?
Quoted in the Islamicity page, if you exercise during fasting, this will cause a significant increase in the hormone cortisol (stress hormone), especially if done in high intensity. In addition, exercise carried out in a state of dehydration can also reduce the body's resistance drastically.
So, sports after breaking fast is the best time. This is because the body has regained energy intake from food and drinks consumed when breaking the fast.
Whereas according to Dr. Michael Triangto, SpKO quoted in detikHealth, determines when the best time to exercise during fasting depends on the purpose of the sport itself. That is why, you need to determine in advance what is the purpose of doing the exercise.
If your goal is to exercise for health and refreshment, then exercise should not be done in the afternoon. Because if the sport is done in the afternoon or evening, then you will not get the effect of freshness because the air has been mixed with air pollution. In order to get the benefits of freshness, you can do sports after dawn or after the morning prayer when the air is still beautiful and fresh. Of course the exercise carried out is a kind of light exercise such as jogging, brisk walking and cycling.
Whereas if your reason is to exercise with the aim of exercising muscle and just sweating, then you can do weight or cardio exercise that can be done at night for 30 to 60 minutes or may also be done while waiting for iftar.
Basically, to exercise in the fasting month you must know your own body and health conditions. Because the fitness of each individual is different. There are people who are indeed able to exercise when fasting and there are also those who can only do sports after breaking fast.
Things to consider when doing sports in the fasting month
Don't force yourself to exercise, it's good to recognize your own body before deciding to exercise. Some of the things you should pay attention to when doing exercise during the month of Ramadan, are:
- Take time to exercise for around 30 minutes to a maximum of 60 minutes. Don't forget to exercise consistently and routinely.
- Perform cardiovascular exercise with mild intensity such as walking and cycling. In addition, you can also do simple muscle training activities. This can help burn calories, increase stamina, boast muscles, increase flexibility and detoxification.
- Don't do high intensity exercise such as running long distances, lifting weights and other strenuous exercise because it can cause joint or muscle injury. Even this can also cause complications such as low blood pressure, hypoglycemia and dizziness.
- Increase fluid intake when breaking fast and dawn. Drink coconut water to increase electrolytes in your body, and optimize heart function and muscle nerves.
- Pay attention to nutrient intake and the portion of food to be consumed for breaking fast and dawn. Moreover, avoid eating foods that contain high fat such as fried foods and santen so that the exercise you do is successful.
- Do not continue exercise if you feel weak, dizzy or sick even though you have reduced the intensity of your exercise.
- Enough for your sleep during Ramadan, because the lack of body time will affect body performance.
- 7 Things You Can't Do After Exercising
- How long is recommended exercise for adults?
- 5 Health Risks You Face As a Result of Direct Sleep After Sahur