The temptation of fatty foods can immediately destroy the strict dietary efforts that you have been guarding so hard. But what if you were given the opportunity to paddle once, two-three islands passed? While dieting lose weight, you may still eat your favorite fatty foods. What is this diet method? Introduce, the Atkins diet. The Atkins diet is a principled diet pattern similar to the ketogenic diet, which was initiated by a doctor named Robert C. Atkins. What is the guide like, and is it really healthy?
What is the Atkins diet?
The Atkins diet is a diet that is high in fat and protein, but low in carbohydrates. At first glance, a diet that is high in fat is actually not good for health. Fatty foods have long been known to increase cholesterol and the risk of other chronic diseases. But, more than 20 studies over the past 12 years have suggested that the Atkins diet method is considered good for weight loss.
Saturated fat and trans fat do have a negative impact on health. However, not all types of fat are bad. HDL unsaturated fat, aka good fat, is still needed by the body to help carry out its normal functions. Unsaturated fats in the body function to protect heart health, control blood sugar, and help reduce weight.
Therefore, the Atkins diet is a food source that contains pure protein (low fat), healthy HDL fat, and high-fiber vegetables. Meanwhile, a low carbohydrate diet can increase metabolism so that the body can burn more fat deposits.
Guides undergo the Atkins diet
The Atkins diet is divided into four phases, as follows:
- Phase 1 (induction): The induction phase of the Atkins diet is a period when the body replaces its energy source from carbohydrates to fat. This process is called ketosis, and you will notice rapid weight loss. During this phase, you should not consume carbohydrates more than 20 grams in 2 weeks. Expand foods that contain healthy fats, high protein, and low carbohydrate green vegetables to speed up weight loss.
- Phase 2 (balancing): Slowly add nuts, low-carbohydrate vegetables, and a little fruit to your diet. You can eat these foods approximately 15-20 grams per serving. You also still have to avoid foods that contain lots of sugar.
- Phase 3 (fine-tuning): when you almost reach your desired weight, add a little carbohydrate to your diet about 10 grams until your weight drops slowly.
- Phase 4 (manitenance): in this phase, you can consume a variety of healthy carbohydrates because your body has tolerated it without increasing your weight.
Some people, especially vegetarians, choose to skip the induction phase and start by eating lots of vegetables and fruits. This method can also be done and has satisfying results.
But unfortunately, these four phases are a bit complicated. You can reduce weight and keep it as long as you stick to the meal plan below.
Foods to avoid during the Atkins diet
- Sugar : soft drinks, fruit juices, cakes, sweets, ice cream, etc.
- Whole grains : wheat, spelled, rye, barley, rice
- Vegetable oil : soybean oil, corn oil, canola oil, and several others.
- Saturated oil : commonly found on processed foods with the word "hydrogenated" on the composition chart
- Foods labeled "Diet" and "low fat" : these foods are high in sugar content.
- High carbohydrate vegetables : carrots, turnips (only during the induction phase)
- High carbohydrate fruits : bananas, apples, oranges, pears, grapes (only during the induction phase)
- Starch : potatoes, sweet potatoes (only during the induction phase)
- Legumen : lentils, arab nuts (only during the induction phase)
Foods that can be consumed during the Atkins diet
- Meat : beef, pork, lamb, chicken, bacon, etc.
- Seafood : salmon, sardines and others.
- Eggs : the most healthy eggs that contain omega-3
- Low carbohydrate vegetables : kale, spinach, broccoli, aspaagus.
- Full-fat dairy : butter, cheese, cream, full-fat yogurt
- Nuts : almonds, macadamia, walnuts, sunflower seeds
- Healthy fats : extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, and avocado oil
As long as the basis of your diet is foods that contain fatty proteins with vegetables or nuts and some healthy fats, then you can lose your weight.
Besides losing weight, the Atkins diet is a diet method that is believed to prevent you from the risk of metabolic syndrome, diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
- Get to know the Sirtfood Diet, a Diet that allows you to eat chocolate and drink wine
- Diet with Chili, Is It Really Effective to Reduce Weight?
- The Paleo Diet Is Actually Safe and Good For Health Or Not?