Toothache is certainly very disturbing to you, it feels very painful. Moreover, if a toothache occurs during pregnancy. Maybe you will rush to take medicine to relieve the pain. Eits ... but wait a minute, remember you are pregnant. So, you can't use any toothache medicine. False, maybe the medication you are taking can harm your fetus. Then, what are the safe toothache medicines for pregnant women?
Toothache medicine for safe pregnant women
Not all drugs are safe to drink while pregnant. Taking medication while pregnant can endanger your fetus, it can even cause miscarriage. However, if you get sick while pregnant, toothache for example, taking medication may be unavoidable. So, you need to recognize which medicines you are safe to consume while pregnant.
Toothache is common during pregnancy. This can be caused by hormonal changes in pregnant women. To treat it, you can use the drug acetaminophen (paracetamol) .
Acetaminophen is a pain reliever that can relieve toothache, dizziness, and reduce fever. The use of this drug is also safe to use when pregnant, if you take it as recommended. Get used to reading the rules of use first, pay attention to the dosage of use.
Toothache medicine that should be avoided by pregnant women
The medication for toothache for pregnant women that should be avoided is aspirin and ibuprofen, which are included in nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). The American Pregnancy Association has warned against using these drugs while pregnant.
Research shows that using aspirin and ibuprofen during pregnancy is associated with the risk of a baby with birth defects. In fact, using ibuprofen during pregnancy can increase the risk of miscarriage. Consumption of NSAIDs during pregnancy is also associated with early closure of the ductus arteriosus, kidney poisoning in the fetus, and inhibiting labor.
Another way to treat toothache during pregnancy
Other efforts that you can do to relieve toothache during pregnancy, in addition to taking medication, are:
- Gargle with warm water . This can help calm your pain and may also remove particles that stick between teeth. Warm water added with salt (1/2 tsp salt in 1 glass of warm water) can also help kill germs in the mouth.
- Compress with ice cubes . Ice cubes can make your nerves numb so you don't feel pain. This can help ease your toothache temporarily. The trick, take ice cubes and wrap with a thin cloth, then stick directly to the affected area.
- Use clove oil . You can use clove oil during pregnancy to relieve toothache. Cloves can be an antiseptic that relieves temporary pain. Pour clove oil on the cotton and apply it directly to the affected part of the tooth.
- Use garlic . Garlic contains allicin, an antibiotic agent that can fight infectious bacteria in the teeth. You can use garlic to relieve toothache by placing crushed garlic on a sore tooth or chewing a piece of garlic directly.
- Tips for Overcoming Flu and Cough During Pregnancy
- Take Antibiotics During Pregnancy, What Medications Are Safe?
- Are you allowed to take laxatives during pregnancy?
- Can Pregnant Women Fast?