When a baby enters the age of 6 months, the mother must be prepared to introduce complementary foods to her baby. Many mothers may still feel confused about how to give their baby a meal or how much food the baby should prepare. The following is the recommended portion of baby food.
The portion for eating babies is 6-8 months
Providing complementary food for breastfeeding for babies entering the age of 6 months is not easy. Maybe most of them will refuse, because they are not familiar with the taste of the food you give. If the baby refuses the food you give, it doesn't mean he doesn't like it, but your baby needs time to adjust. Therefore, during the early days of providing complementary foods, you must be very patient and keep trying to provide food to the baby.
Nothing is given little by little and slowly, because the main goal is for the baby to want and be able to eat solid food when he reaches the age of 1 year. Here are guidelines for eating 6-8 months old babies:
- ASI, is still the main food for babies aged 6-8 months, so you at least give them breast milk 3-5 times a day or equivalent to 800-950 mL ASI.
- Baby cereal. You can start giving your baby soft foods like baby cereal. The portion of cereal you can give is around 6-10 small spoons per day. But if the baby has entered the age of 8 months, you can give it 10-16 small spoons per day.
- Fruit. Choose fruit whose meat is soft and can be crushed, and you should not use fruit that tastes sour. Fruit that can be your choice such as papaya, avocado and banana. The portion of fruit that can be given is around 4-6 small spoons per day.
- Vegetables, such as carrots and pumpkins that are cured or softened. In one day a baby's meal for vegetables is around 4-6 small spoons a day.
- Meat and other animal protein sources. It's best if you give your baby meat when they are 7 months old.
- Vegetable protein, such as tofu, soybeans, kidney beans, or green beans. You can make various beans into porridge or puree.
- You can give snacks when the baby is 7 or 8 months old. You can give them soft pastries or bread.
In the early days of food introduction, you have to give your baby one food at a time and wait for at least two or three days for the baby to adapt to one type of food.
The portion of baby feeding is 9-12 months
The portion of food for infants aged 9-12 months has started a lot because the baby has begun to adapt to the foods you provide. The ability to chew them is getting better and the more teeth they have. In this time, you can start making him learn to hold his own spoon. Then what about a good baby meal at this time?
- ASI, it is still recommended to give it. The frequency of breastfeeding is around 3-4 times a day, equivalent to 700-800 mL.
- Baby cereals, you can give about 10-16 teaspoons per day.
- Fruits. You still need to crush the fruits or make them into fruit puree. Give the fruit puree as much as 4-8 teaspoons per day in two meals.
- Vegetables must be cut into small pieces and cooked until tender. The portion of vegetables you can give is around 4-8 small spoons per day in two meals.
- Side dishes. You can already give a variety of dishes if the baby is already at this time. For example, you give beef, chicken, cheese and fish (boneless) as much as 6-8 teaspoons. Make sure the side dish has a soft texture.
- A food source of carbohydrates, can be given when a baby is 12 months old. portion of food for carbohydrate sources is about a quarter to half mashed potatoes, macaroni, noodles or team rice.
- 8 Stages of Development of Infant Feeding, according to the Age of Growth
- How to Serve Tofu (Tofu) as a Baby Food
- 3 Main Causes of Infants and Toddlers Vomiting Often