IUD (Intrauterine device) aka spiral KB is the most popular contraceptive tool for Indonesian women because of its effectiveness and ease of use. Depending on the type you want to install, an IUD can last 3 to 10 years to prevent pregnancy. However, you should first know the IUD side effects that might occur before you are determined to use them.
What are the side effects of IUD?
Just like other contraceptives, IUD KB (either the type of hormone or copper) comes with various disadvantages and advantages. Do not forget, sometimes also arise one or more side effects that accompany its use, including:
- Menstruation becomes irregular in the first few months, because the body is still adjusting.
- Menstrual blood can be more than usual, even accompanied by abdominal cramps.
- Having cramps and stomach feels uncomfortable, even if you're not menstruating.
- Irregular bleeding spots appear during the first few weeks of use.
- Nausea and abdominal pain. This discomfort will be different from the effects of contraception in the form of pills or injections.
- Risk of vaginal infection.
- The position of the IUD can shift from its original location, either partially or completely so that it exits the uterus.
- PMS-like side effects such as pimples, body aches, and breast pain. This is especially true if you are using a hormonal IUD.
How do you deal with IUD side effects?
Actually, most of the side effects of this spiral KB only last for the first few months of use. However, this condition will still make you uncomfortable for daily activities. If this is the case, you can manage side effects that appear in several ways including:
- Take painkillers, for example ibuprofen, paracetamol, or naproxen to reduce pain.
- Use warm compresses right in the area under the abdomen that feels uncomfortable, to relieve cramps and pain.
- Use the pantyliner for some time to absorb irregular bleeding or spots.
If IUD side effects continue to appear even up to a matter of months and do not go away, ask and check with your doctor to treat you so that you can be treated immediately.
- 5 Signs that Appear When the IUD Position Shifts from the Starting Place
- Even though it is similar to an IUD (KB Spiral), this is the Advantage of IUS KB that needs to be noted
- Peel Complete What Is IUD KB and How It Works In Preventing Pregnancy