Just like women, the cause of low male sex drive can be of many factors. Low sex drive describes a decrease in a man's interest in sexual activity.
Generally losing sexual interest can indeed occur from time to time, and this level of sexual arousal can vary throughout life. But low male sex drive over a long period of time can cause concern for some people. Because the low sex drive of a person can sometimes be an indicator of certain health conditions.
The cause of male sex drive is low
1. Decreased testosterone
Testosterone is an important hormone for men that is produced in the testicles. Testosterone is responsible for building muscle and bone mass and stimulating sperm production. In addition, testosterone is also a factor that affects sex drive in men.
A man is considered to have low testosterone, or low T, if his testosterone level is below 300 to 350 nanograms per deciliter (ng /dL). When male testosterone levels decrease, the desire to have sex will also decrease. Although a decrease in testosterone is very reasonable along with the aging process of a person, a drastic reduction in testosterone levels can cause a significant reduction in male sex drive.
The cause of low male sex drive can also be due to the effects of taking certain drugs that affect testosterone levels. For example, blood pressure medications such as ACE inhibitors and beta-blockers can prevent ejaculation and erection. In addition there are several drugs used to treat depression, and other chronic diseases sometimes have side effects to suppress libido.
3. Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)
Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is an uncontrolled drive to move your legs. A study found that men with RLS had a higher risk of developing erectile dysfunction than people who did not have RLS. Erectile dysfunction (ED) occurs when men cannot or maintain an erection.
People who are depressed will usually feel a decrease or lack of interest in activities they like, including sex. In addition, a person's low sex drive can also be a result of the side effects of antidepressant drugs, for example selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
5. Chronic illness
There are certain diseases, such as cancer, that can reduce a man's sperm production because their body focuses on fighting cancer-causing cells to survive. Besides kidney disease, diabetes or HIV infection can also reduce testosterone levels and reduce sperm production.
6. Sleep disturbance
A study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & amp; Metabolism (JCEM) found that men with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) experienced lower testosterone levels which caused a decrease in sexual activity and libido.
In essence, a decrease in testosterone levels can be caused by not having good and healthy sleep quality. So that physically, lack of sleep will increase the level of cortisol (stress hormone) which can suppress libido.
A decrease in testosterone levels will generally be seen at the age of 60-65 years. But it does not rule out the possibility if the decline in testosterone levels can occur faster because of the influence of lifestyle. When you are not young anymore, you need more time to experience orgasm, ejaculation and arousal during intercourse.
Low male sex drive can also occur due to stress. This is because stress can interfere with your hormone levels by removing adrenaline and cortisol. A study in The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease supports the notion that stress, regardless of psychological problems and the quality of relationships, has a direct effect on one's sexual problems. In addition, tres can also cause narrowing of blood vessels so that it triggers erectile disorders.
How to increase male sex drive?
Based on the various causes mentioned above, then several ways that can be done to improve male sex drive are:
- Do a healthier lifestyle. By improving diet, regular exercise, getting enough sleep, avoiding all activities that will cause stress, reducing smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Replace drugs that do have the effect of lowering testosterone levels in the body so that it affects your libido
- Counseling to a doctor or sex expert. Later, the doctor or sex expert will recommend you to do therapy if the cause of the decrease in sexual arousal is a psychological problem. In many cases, low sexual arousal shows if there is a desire to connect more closely with a partner, but not only about sex.
- In essence, recognize your body and don't hesitate to tell the doctor what you feel. Don't hold back. That is the only way for doctors to know what the root of the problem is from the low sexual arousal that you have whether it's physical, psychological, or both.
- Tips for Dealing with Wives Who Have High Sex Passion
- 7 Tips for Raising Passionate Love
- Get to know Aphrodisiacs: 9 Passion Generating Foods