Hypothyroidism is a disorder of the body's metabolism because the thyroid gland is unable to produce enough hormones. The hormone produced from this gland regulates the body's metabolic processes to produce energy. So, the typical symptom of hypothyroidism is easily tired and often not feeling well. In addition, people who have hypothyroidism also tend to find it difficult to lose weight because their metabolism is slow.
Hypothyroidism is a fairly common disorder because the causes vary and can be experienced by anyone. If you are one of those who has hypothyroidism, don't worry. Read first tips for weight loss specifically for hypothyroidism.
Weight loss tips for people with hypothyroidism
1. Consult the doctor first
Before trying any tips on losing weight, people with hypothyroidism need to consult a doctor first. The doctor will first diagnose the cause of your thyroid problem by determining the level of thyroid hormone in your blood. A common treatment for hypothyroidism is synthetic thyroid hormone therapy which usually lasts a lifetime.
The doctor will also provide tips or care about controlling hypothyroid symptoms, maintaining overall health, to even prescribe medication so that your condition doesn't drop while trying to lose weight.
2. Get enough sleep
One of the most important things you can do when following weight loss tips is getting enough sleep. Experts state that women who sleep often less than 5 hours are more likely to experience weight gain compared to women who get enough to sleep 7-8 hours every night.
Even women who sleep only 5 hours per night have a 15% higher risk of obesity. Therefore, fulfill sufficient rest periods everyday for the success of losing weight.
3. Try increasing your metabolism
The slow metabolism of people with hypothyroidism can still be improved. How to? With exercise routines that build muscle mass. In addition, you also need to keep up with drinking enough water and eating healthy foods that can increase your body's metabolism.
4. Avoid the following foods
There are a number of foods that can interfere with thyroid hormone function. Here's an example:
- Soybean . Soybeans contain phytoestrogen compounds which can inhibit the activity of enzymes that make thyroid hormones.
- High iodized food. Eating foods rich in iodine is actually good for thyroid function. But be careful, eating too much food containing iodine such as fish and salt can cause opposite effects and further slow down the activity of the thyroid gland.
- Iron and calcium supplements. Taking iron or calcium supplements can change the effectiveness of thyroid drugs.
5. Consume the following foods
Foods that contain the following nutrients can improve health and can support your metabolism.
- Antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables . Cherries, blueberries, strawberries, tomatoes and are a small portion of antioxidant-rich foods that can improve overall health and benefit the thyroid gland.
- Foods rich in selenium. Selenium is needed by the body to produce enzymes that make thyroid hormones function properly. Eating foods rich in selenium, such as quiz or Brazil nuts, can be tried as a snack.
- Foods rich in tyrosine. Tyrosine is one of the amino acids the body needs to produce T3 and T4 in thyroid hormones. Please consume meat, milk and peas to get the benefits of tyrosine.
- A Guide to Undergoing a 2000 Calorie Diet for Weight Loss
- Often Doesn't Have a Good Body? Maybe You Have Hypothyroidism
- 4 Important Preparations Before Diet You Need To Do To Get Weight Down