Rice has become the main food for the people of Indonesia. It's not complete if you eat without rice. Some people also think if you haven't found rice like you haven't eaten. But many also say that eating rice makes you sleepy.
Feeling sleepy and weak after eating can be one of your body's reactions to the process of chemical changes in your digestive system. This means that this is normal for everyone. However, is it really true that eating rice makes you sleepy? Find out the facts below.
Nutrition of white rice
White rice is a good source of calories. One cup of white rice contains around 165 calories. Most calories in rice come from carbohydrates, with a carbohydrate content of 35 grams per portion.
Because of the high carbohydrate and calorie content, white rice is usually the main food menu. As a type of staple food, white rice can provide a great source of energy for the body.
Rice also contains 3.3 grams of protein. Not to forget, white rice contains many minerals and vitamins that are beneficial for the body such as vitamin D, iron, fiber, calcium, riboflavin and thiamine.
Why does eating rice make you sleepy?
Rice is a food that contains high carbohydrates. Rice also has a high glycemic index value. The glycemic index itself is a standard used to measure how fast certain foods increase blood sugar levels.
This causes drowsiness to appear after eating rice. How can it be like that? This is because the human body will react to the nutritional intake obtained.
The body needs a lot of energy to break down the carbohydrate components which are then absorbed by the body's cells. This process can trigger an increase in blood sugar in the body. Well, so that the sugar level is not too much in the body, the pancreatic organs will then produce a hormone called insulin.
Insulin can increase tryptophan levels in the brain. Furthermore, tryptophan will increase levels of a hormone called serotonin and melatonin.
These two hormones are closely related to the appearance of drowsiness. Serotonin makes you feel calm and comfortable. While melatonin itself is a hormone that will be produced so that the body can rest. So don't be surprised if after you eat rice, especially in large portions, you will feel sleepy.
How do you prevent it?
Even though eating rice makes you sleepy, it doesn't mean that rice isn't good at all. You can still eat rice without worrying about being sleepy. The following tips to prevent sleepiness after eating rice that you can apply.
- Eat brown rice, brown rice, or black rice as an alternative to your staple food. These types of rice have a lower glycemic index value than white rice. Therefore, you can still eat rice without fear of drowsiness.
- Take more protein such as fish or chicken into your diet. You can also eat healthy foods such as avocados, nuts, tofu, and seeds.
- If you feel weak or sleepy after eating rice, try walking for 20 minutes. Doing physical activity will increase the energy level in the body and expel drowsiness.
- Drink enough water, because lack of water can make you even weaker. It is recommended to drink about eight glasses of water per day.
- Don't overeat rice. Try to balance your diet with other nutrients such as low-fat protein, vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Corn Rice Turns Healthier Than White Rice, Interested in Trying?
- Rice, Noodles, Pasta, and Bread: Which Source of Carbohydrate Is the Most Healthy?
- What happens to the body if we reduce eating rice