Recently, the community was troubled by the issue of fake eggs on the market. Many say that if consumed, imitation eggs are claimed to be dangerous to health because they are made from hazardous chemicals, such as sodium alginate, alum, gelatin, alum (clothing softener), benzoic acid (preservatives). He said also, eating fake eggs can cause nerve disorders, metabolic disorders, to liver damage. Is that true?
The Ministry of Animal Husbandry confirms that the issue of fake eggs is only a hoax
Spreaders of fake egg issues say that these fake eggs are biologically engineered products, because they have soft egg yolks and the egg white is too liquid not sticky in the hand.
The issue of selling fake eggs has been further investigated by the Ministry of Forestry and the Ministry of Agriculture. Through a press conference at the National Police Headquarters, Syamsul Maarif, PKH Director General of the Ministry of Animal Husbandry, stated that the eggs claimed to be artificial were declared to be one hundred percent original eggs - only, the quality was not good.
Until now there was no technology available to make eggshells for counterfeiting. Moreover, the process of making engineering products requires a large cost. Meanwhile, the selling price of eggs in Indonesia is quite cheap when compared to other countries. So, it is certainly not logical to make fake eggs and market them in Indonesia.
The same thing was confirmed by the Head of DKI Jakarta Livestock and Animal Health (KPKP) Division, Sri Hartati, reported by Kompas. Hartati stated that there were no fake chicken eggs sold in the Jakarta markets.
Eggs that are said to be fake are only because the quality is not good
Good egg quality can be seen from the shape of the egg yolk. If the egg yolks look clean, perfectly round and dense, aka not easily broken, and even easily removed or separated from the white, that's the sign that the egg is fresh. Sometimes there will be red spots on the yolk caused by rupture of blood vessels during egg formation. This is also a sign of fresh eggs and is still safe for consumption.
Fresh eggs don't smell fishy. Good eggs don't even smell at all. If you smell fishy from the eggs you bought, this does not mean the eggs are fake, but they have only been stored for a long time. The smell of eggs can also be caused by less clean eggshells.
The original egg is claimed to have black spots due to injections of vitamins, this is also wrong. Eggs cannot be injected because they will be hollow and cause the shell to break. Perforated eggs will damage the eggs and rot quickly. Good egg yolk is clean.
Also, you don't need to worry if you find a thin membrane on your egg. Hoax spreaders say that the membrane is plastic, but actually is a layer of membrane that serves to protect the egg. It is normal and is present in all eggs. Precisely if the membrane gets thicker, the quality of the egg is getting better and longer lasting.
Now, don't be afraid to eat eggs again
Eggs are high-protein foods that store many health benefits. Proteins contained in eggs help the body form immune cells, blood plasma, enzymes, and other important cells. Protein is also known as a substance that helps speed up the process of healing wounds or injuries.
Adding eggs to the diet can also make you more powerful and prevent hunger before the next meal time arrives, thanks to the protein and fat content.
In addition, eggs are a high food source of vitamins and minerals that are good for health. For example, vitamin A and lutein antioxidants in eggs help maintain eye health, while complex B vitamins and folic acid help maintain healthy skin.
But remember, eggs contain high cholesterol. Then you should limit the consumption of eggs around 1-3 items in one day.
The smart way to store eggs is to last
Regardless of the issue of fake eggs, the most important thing is how you choose and store eggs. Be sure to be more careful in buying and storing eggs. To get a good egg, consider the following tips:
- Choose eggs that have shells or eggshells that are clean, stained, not cracked and smooth. Also check whether the egg shape is normal, and does not smell. Eggs with damaged shells indicate that the egg condition is not good and may be contaminated with bacteria.
- Before being stored, the eggs should be washed first with running water. Then, store it in the refrigerator to maintain egg quality while preventing bacterial contamination. As long as it is stored in the refrigerator, eggs can last up to 14 days. If you want to store it at room temperature, you should separate the condition of a good egg with one that has been damaged.
- Pay attention to the condition of the egg after opening. When the eggshell has been broken, the damaged egg usually has an unpleasant odor. Note the condition of the yellow and egg white, if there are pink, blue, dark green, even black; this indicates bacterial contamination.
- How Many Eggs Can a Child Eat in a Day?
- Egg White vs. Egg Yolk: Which Is More Protein?
- Is it true that eating eggs can make muscles bigger?