Acidosis occurs when the chemical balance of the body and base of the body experiences an imbalance. Acidosis is a condition in which body fluids are too acidic due to storage and production of too much acid or do not have enough liquid levels to balance acid. Most cases of acidosis are not dangerous but in some cases can endanger a person's life.
Type of acidosis based on the cause
The kidneys and lungs play a role in maintaining the acid and alkaline balance in the body. Disorders of both organs can cause two types of acidosis conditions (too acidic body fluids), including:
1. Respiratory acidosis
Or also known as hypercapnic acidosis or carbon dioxide acidosis, is an acidosis condition that occurs when too much carbon dioxide (CO2) gas because the body cannot release the gas through the breathing process. This type of acidosis is triggered by several things, including:
- Chronic respiratory tract disorders
- Injury or injury to the chest area
- Obesity that triggers breathing difficulties
- Sedative drug abuse
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Muscles in the chest area that are too weak
- Disorders of the nervous system
- Defects in the chest
2. Metabolic acidosis
It is a type of acidosis that starts from a kidney disorder. This happens when the kidneys cannot release enough acidic fluid or too much alkaline liquid. More specifically, metabolic acidosis can be divided into several types:
- Diabetic acidosis - occurs when diabetic conditions are uncontrolled where a lack of insulin causes the concentration of ketones to increase and tend to accumulate and make the body more acidic.
- Hyperchloremic acidosis - caused by loss of sodium bicarbonate, a compound that keeps blood pH normal. A symptom of diarrhea and vomiting can cause this type of acidosis.
- Lactic acidosis - occurs when too much lactic acid in the body. This is triggered by too much alcohol consumption, heart failure, cancer, convulsions, liver failure, lack of oxygen for a long time and hypoglycemia. This condition can also occur when someone is exercising too long.
- Renal tubular acidosis - occurs when the kidneys cannot get rid of acid through urine and causes blood to become too acidic.
Risk factors for acidosis (too acidic body fluids)
Several factors that can contribute to increasing the risk of acidosis include:
- Take high fat and consume too little carbohydrate
- Having kidney failure
- Experiencing poisoning of methanol and aspirin alcohol compounds
- Having diabetes
Respiratory acidosis triggers some symptoms including:
- It's easy to feel tired and easily drowsy
- Often feels confused
- Difficulty breathing
- Frequent headaches
Whereas metabolic acidosis causes symptoms:
- Heart palpitations
- Short, fast breathing
- Decreased appetite
- Easy to get tired and sleepy
- Fruit-flavored breath, is a typical symptom of diabetic acidosis
Complications that can be triggered by acidosis
Without proper treatment, acidosis conditions - where body fluids are too acidic - can occur for a long time and can cause health problems such as kidney stones, chronic kidney disorders, kidney failure, bone health problems, and growth delay.
How is acidosis diagnosed?
Acidosis can be diagnosed by a doctor through several blood tests such as:
- Examination of gas in arterial blood vessels to determine the amount of oxygen and carbon dioxide.
- Examination of blood pH.
- Examination of kidney function and pH balance.
- Examination of calcium, protein, blood sugar and electrolyte levels.
Prevention and countermeasures
The main prevention of acidosis is to maintain healthy lung and kidney organs, by:
- Reduce consumption of alcohol.
- Use sedatives according to the rules.
- Avoid smoking behavior.
- Maintain an ideal body weight.
- Sufficient fluid needs.
- Regular control of your diabetes, if you have diabetes.
Treatment of acidosis can depend on specific disorders that cause an increase in pH in the body. Respiratory acidosis is overcome by restoring lung function by administering drugs or oxygen therapy using a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device if the airways are obstructed or muscle weakness. While the handling of metabolic acidosis varies depending on the cause.
- Mandatory Steps to Prevent Dehydration During Fasting
- Various Treatment Options for Overcoming Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- 4 Symptoms of Kidney Stones that You Can Recognize Easily