Are you among those who cannot escape from makeup? Makeup or cosmetics can indeed make your appearance more fresh and radiant, especially when pregnant. However, you need to be more careful if you want to use makeup while pregnant. The problem is, using makeup during pregnancy is quite risky. What are the risks? Read on this article to find out.
Is using makeup during pregnancy dangerous?
Basically, not all makeup is dangerous for pregnant women. All you have to pay attention to is not the type of makeup, but the chemicals contained in the various beauty products that you use. Certain cosmetic products are made from chemicals that are quite hard and dangerous if absorbed in the body.
A number of studies have shown that certain chemicals, such as parabens, are related to the risk of birth defects, premature babies, to miscarriages of fetuses. Not that you have to abstain from using makeup during pregnancy at all. You can still use makeup, but pay close attention to what the composition is.
Makeup ingredients that should be avoided when pregnant
To help you avoid dangerous chemicals from cosmetic products, consider the following list.
- Retinol . These chemicals from vitamin A are commonly found in antiaging products such as face creams and moisturizers. Although it is effective in preventing wrinkles and increasing skin elasticity, retinol risks causing abnormalities in the baby's spine.
- Formaldehyde . This one chemical compound is usually contained in nail polish, mascara, and false eyelash adhesives. Avoid comet with this content because the molecules in formaldehyde risk causing cell damage.
- Salicylic Acid . Although salicylic acid can relieve inflammation of the skin, experts advise pregnant women not to use makeup containing this active substance. So, pay attention if your acne medication or facial toner contains salicylic acid.
- Phthalates . These chemicals can be found in nail polish, moisturizer, powder, and perfume. Research shows that phthalates can be absorbed by your baby's placenta. If absorbed in excessive amounts, these chemicals can result in babies born with disabilities or underweight.
- Paraben . This type of preservative is often used to increase the shelf life of the product and prevent the growth of bacteria in cosmetics. You might find it in facial scrubs, masks or moisturizers. Parabens are dangerous because they can disrupt the hormone levels of pregnant women and risk cancer in excessive use.
- Hydroquinone . The use of chemicals in facial whitening products has been banned and restricted throughout the world. So if you use makeup while pregnant, make sure your makeup is free of hydroquinone or other skin whitening ingredients.
- Can you have a Manicure Pedicure in a Salon?
- Is it Safe to Straighten Hair During Pregnancy?
- Calculate Makeup Expiration by Type
- 6 Bad Things That Can Happen When Lazy Cleaning a Makeup Tool