Coughing is the body's natural response to getting rid of various irritating substances in the respiratory tract. However, not all coughs are the same.
There is a phlegm cough which is a cough accompanied by mucus discharge, and also a dry cough. Both of these conditions make you quite disturbed, especially at night so you cannot sleep comfortably. So, is there a way to relieve this very annoying cough?
Various ways to relieve an annoying cough
Coughing that continues to appear can make your body weak. Because the cough makes the muscles around the chest ache and your throat hurts.
Not only during colds or flu, coughing can also occur because you are in a place with dry air or smoking habits. Coughing is also a symptom in people with health problems, such as asthma, allergies or stomach acid reflux.
If you have this condition, you don't need to worry. There are many ways you can do to relieve coughing, such as:
1. Drink lots of water
During colds or flu, the virus makes more mucus production. Extra mucus can flow from the nose to the back of the throat and make you cough.
To relieve this cough, increasing drinking water is the easiest way you can do it. It would be better if you choose warm water. Water can help the thickened mucus become more fluid so that the airways become cleaner. Coughing will decrease and you can breathe freely.
2. A drink that relieves your throat
In addition to water, you can enjoy other warm drinks to relieve a sore throat from continuing to cough. You can drink a cup of warm honey tea with lemon slices to relieve a stuffy nose and your throat.
You can also try making gedang. Ginger containing anti-inflammatory compounds can relax the membrane in the airways to reduce the intensity of coughing. However, not too much, huh. This drink can also make you stomach ache and heartburn if taken too much.
In addition, you can also enjoy fresh pineapple juice. Pineapple fruit contains bromelain compounds that are anti-inflammatory and mucolytic, which helps the body break down and drain mucus that blocks the throat.
3. Take a bath or take a warm bath
Bathing in warm water is as effective as drinking warm drinks. Steam produced from warm water and you breathe, can help loosen the secretions in the nose so that the cough becomes lighter.
"A warm bath can help relieve cough not only because of a cold, but also allergies," said Giselle Mosnaim, an allergist and immunologist at the Rush Center, as quoted from WebMD . Remember, do not take a bath or soak too long because it can make the skin dry.
4. Keep air humidity and cleanliness
If you have a cough that is quite disturbing, maintaining humidity and air cleanliness is important. Dry air can trigger allergic symptoms, one of them coughing. You can keep the air moist with a humidifier.
In addition to dry air, spray of perfume and cigarette smoke can also trigger more mucus to be produced and cause coughing to become more severe. You should avoid both of these if you feel the cough becomes more severe after exposure.
5. Take cough medicine
If the previous tips aren't effective enough to relieve coughing, you can try cough suppressants. You can get cough medicines easily at the pharmacy. However, remember to make sure that the type of cough you are suffering from: a dry cough or cough with phlegm? This helps you to choose the right cough medicine.
Some types of cough relievers that you should choose, include:
- Dextromethrophan . This drug works to suppress coughing and reduce the feeling of wanting to cough. If you feel a cough without phlegm and often get worse at night, you should choose this medicine. This medication reduces coughing so that your chest and throat are free of pain.
- Decongestants. This drug helps dry mucus in the lungs so that it opens up the breathing passages so they return smoothly. Usually taken to relieve cough with nasal congestion.
- Guaifenesin . This medicine is used if you have a cough with phlegm, but it is very difficult to remove. With guaifenesin, thickened mucus will be thawed and easier to remove.
In addition to the choice of drugs, it is important to carefully read the rules of use on drug packaging. This avoids you from dosing and drinking time errors. Always consult your doctor first, if you have a history of other diseases before using cough suppressants.
- Side Effects of Phlegm Cough Medication, from Mild to Severe
- Equally Makes Coughing, This Is the Difference Between Chronic Bronchitis and Emphysema
- Not all dry cough medicines are the same, recognize 5 types