Ear drops are useful for softening earwax, as well as fighting infections in your ears. But how to use it is not just dripping. In order for the drug to work effectively to speed up your recovery, it is important to make sure the liquid medicine actually gets into the ear canal. Here's how to use the right ear drops.
Step by step how to use ear drops
- Wash hands with water and soap or use hand sanitizer if water and soap are not available
- Warm up the ear drops by holding them for 1 to 2 minutes, because cold water can cause dizziness to spin on the head when it is dropped into the ear.
- Open the medicine bottle cap and place the medicine bottle in a clean and dry place, avoid touching the mouthpiece of the bottle mouth or letting it touch any object
- If the medicine bottle uses a pipette, make sure that the pipette is clean and not cracked or broken
2. Drop drops
- For adults, tilt your head so that your ear is facing up and pull the earlobe up and backwards
- For children, tilt the child's head or in a sleeping position facing the side so that the ear is facing upwards, then pull the earlobe down and backwards
- Take a medicine bottle and start dropping the medicine by gently massaging the bottle or pipette, dropping it according to the dosage of the medicine given by the doctor
- After dropping, gently pull the earlobe up and down to help keep the liquid from flowing into the ear canal
- Keep your head tilted or stay in a sleeping position for 2 to 5 minutes while pressing the front of your protruding ear to push the drug in
3. How to store medicine bottles
- Close the bottle tightly and avoid the tip of the medicine bottle from touching any object to maintain sterility of the contents of the drug
- Clean the excess medicine that is pooled around the lips of the bottle using a tissue or cotton bud
- Wash your hands clean afterwards
When you first put ear drops, it is not uncommon for the ear canal to feel sore and hot. But if after giving medicine your ears become itchy, swollen and painful, immediately consult a doctor.
- Can't Be Opened, Here's How to Clean the Right and Safe Ears
- 4 Important Steps to Maintain Ear Health
- Why Don't You Clean Your Ear Using Bud Cotton?