Besides having a healthy diet and regular exercise, there is one easy way that can speed up your weight loss process - basking in the morning sun. What is the connection?
Morning sunlight can burn fat under skin tissue
A new study by researchers at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada reveals that morning sunlight can burn subcutaneous fat cells of adipose tissue (scWAT), or white fat cells that can be found under the skin. ScWAT cell itself is a place for storing the main fat in the body which plays an important role in helping regulate the body's metabolism. In the end, a better metabolic system helps the body burn fat deposits faster and more efficiently.
The result, researchers found that scWAT cells tend to experience shrinkage due to exposure to sunlight called blue light, ie the type of light can increase focus and mood throughout the day. This research was published in the Journal of Scientific Reports.
Sunlight also helps repair the body's biological clock
Another study conducted by Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine also stated something similar. The study, published in the journal Plos One, found that people who are often exposed to sunlight in the morning have a lower body mass index (BMI) when compared to those who have little or no exposure to sunlight. Why is that?
This happens because sunbathing in the sun in the morning helps harmonize the body's biological clock by sending signals to the brain that the morning is the time to wake up and at night is time to sleep. A stable sleep pattern will help the body's metabolism run more efficiently, so it can help with weight loss.
In addition, naturally, the sun in the morning is stronger than the sun in the afternoon. Because the morning sun has a stronger blue light so that it can affect the body's biological clock or your circadian rhythm.
Adequate sun exposure can also help the body produce more happy mood hormones serotonin which also increases your enthusiasm and motivation to live a healthy life.
How long do you have to sunbathe to lose weight?
Too much sun exposure is harmful to the body because it can cause skin cancer. Actually there is no official benchmark for how much or how long you have to be exposed to sunlight. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), you only need to be exposed to sunlight for at least 5-15 minutes in your arms, hands and face for two to three times a week without using sunscreen, especially for those of you who have pale white skin.
For Indonesia, the recommended sunbathing time is from 10am to 2pm. According to experts, you are recommended to bask for 15-30 minutes between 7-10 in the morning to get the most benefit from the morning sun.
You also don't just have to keep quiet while sunbathing. Do other activities such as walking leisurely, sitting while reading a book in an open area, watering flowers, washing vehicles, sweeping the yard, etc. that can further burn your daily calories.
Another way to lose weight
Basking in the morning sun certainly doesn't automatically cut the numbers on your scales. In order for your diet to work effectively, here are some other ways you should do besides sunbathing in the morning.
- Regular exercise. With regular exercise, the body will burn fat and stimulate muscle growth, so that the body will have more muscle proportions. Make a routine schedule of around 15-20 minutes for exercise every day. You can do cardio or strength training.
- Adjust your diet. If done consistently, adjusting your diet especially reducing your daily calorie intake can help you lose weight. Don't forget, reduce sweet foods and fulfill your daily nutritional needs from vegetables and fruits that are rich in nutrients.
- Enough sleep. Sleep is the most basic need that is a foundation on which a healthy mind and body are formed. If the foundation is shaken, of course it will have an impact on your health, ranging from immune function, energy, appetite, mood and so on.
- Drink 2 glasses of water before eating. According to some studies, the habit of drinking enough water before eating is successful in reducing body weight in obese people.
- 6 Ways to Lose Weight That Turn Out to Be Big Wrong
- 10 Easy Ways to Decrease Weight Without Exercise
- 7 Ways to Lose Weight for Your Eat Eat